Sigh…Polygon’s already on the downslope. It was sometime around E3 this year when they began a pretty clear shift in content and style.
Look, I know ya’ll need dem hits but really? “Packing a hellacious mullet?” Don’t make me adblock you.
This kind of shit is the reason I moved away from Destructoid - a site I read and proudly did not adblock for 2-3 years. Once I noticed their ads and content situation get out of control (i.e. Trash Central Station) I made the switch to a reputable and pretty damn forthright site, for a while at least.
Polygon still has quality features and the occasional in depth analyses but it’s not what it used to be. On top of that, Ben Kuchera is the Clickbait Queen and probably loves it.
Oh well, there’s always Kill Screen. They don’t bother with mainstream news too much and it can get a bit…dramatic over there:
This week Neversoft shuttered with finality, subsumed by Call of Duty creators Infinity Ward. Their legacy, then, isn’t as journeymen, working across sports and music and shooting games. It’s not even a single series of games, or a single game. It’s a single button, which, crystallized in time, allowed you to stretch into infinity. Or at least the next railing.
Hah. At least it’s better than fucking HELLACIOUS MULLET. Yick
I thought I loved you enough before with your realistic rendering of the outdoors, splendid geometry, and natural, subtle ambience, but then you showed me your console commands.
You allowed me to discover beauties like tcl, player.forceav speedmult ###, and of course tgm & tcai (my favorite combination).
And it turns out I can never love you enough.
With deep and unending gratitude,
God I love this game. Most of the dialogue choices available were pretty much identical to what I have said/would have said in coming out situations but my experience drops off with the whole “deranged parents treating you like a prisoner in your own family” thing. It’s a pretty sad story.
Headache Heroes YouTube demographics pretty much accurately representing my sexuality (and gender for that matter) at all times cool
DM DOKURO is just one weird chiptune/vgm remixer/original artist in a long line of weirds.
I mean this in the best possible way! Some of my favorite musicians have turned out to be…not very good at internet…all the while maintaining huge and incredibly diverse vgm-inspired music libraries!
Spamtron, Rushjet1, HertzDevil* all fall into this unique category pretty well. Check each one out - you’ll find dead links, heaps of insecurity, constantly-updating Soundcloud accounts, strange communiques with fans, and a distinctly savant-like manipulation and appreciation of chipmusic.
In fact, I’m not gonna tag this cause these guys tend to search out the things that people say about them online and I don’t want them to take it the wrong way hah.
*Runner up: Renard and his chip avatar Kitsune².
Things I’ve learned while challenging myself to become vegetarian for a month for the first time:
- People who normally don’t give a shit about me all of a sudden have a vested interest in my health; namely my protein intake.
- Turns out beans and nuts and lentils give you all the protein you need. Thanks for giving me an argument against the wave of negativity that continually rides my way, internet!
- Some vegetarians and vegans care a whole lot about what omnivores eat (and vice versa). Turns out I don’t give a shit what anyone else eats unless it’s someone I love + whom I want to be healthy.
- You can still eat pretty gross bullshit when you’re vegan/vegetarian. Most anti-veg people seem to ignore this. “What, you aren’t on my greasy-ass gross-ass side? You think you’re better than me?” “Dude I just ate like 15 lbs of pasta.”
- I really hate bacon. I already knew this but jesus the fire is burning hotter than ever.
- Cooking is hard but rewarding.
- Cooking with someone else in the kitchen makes me want to punch a needle.
- Cooking with raging allergies makes me want to set myself on fire.
- Onions and garlic are beautiful things and they blossom with heat and oil. I love them.
- The only food I miss is the stuff I ate as a kid all of the time and less so to this day: tuna fish sandwiches with relish, American and Italian hoagies, etc.
- Not being able to shove pretty much anything down your gullet makes for some either very imaginative brainstorming sessions of “what to eat!?” or some very tiresome trips around the kitchen until you settle on a damn Nutrigrain bar. I weigh 124 lbs and I’m a 25 year old 5’8” male.
- Eggs in a diet that is being labeled as “vegetarian” sounds pretty iffy to me so I cut ‘em out.
- There are so many wonderful options for vegan and vegetarian food in Philadelphia and it’s one of the very few reasons I’m proud to inhabit the city.
- Gourmet vegan food (Vedge) is heavenly.
- Portobello burgers are the shit.
- Eggplant and zucchini need to be in my life more.
- Fake meat is not my style. Once in a while sure but I’d rather have veggies as a filler than spongy-ass seitan or tofu.
- I’m doing this for four reasons in this order: 1. I want more vegetables in my body 2. I like nature 3. Animals are innocent 4. I want to learn how to cook
Sooo that’s it so far. I’m a month in and although sometimes it’s hard to find something tasty and substantial to eat and the support is pretty much threadbare in my life as of now, I’m still keeping at it! Wish me luck ya’ll.
Jelly Babies can only be flesh and sinew. There is no substitute. Jelly Babies are smiling.
you’re goddamn right I did
and listen… that gender-swapped stretch goal update?
I’ma catch me a goddamn man so hard my goddamn bones will shatter lemme tell you right now
God I love Kill Screen.